Foster PD logo

Foster Police Department
182 Howard Hill Rd.
Foster, RI  02825

(401) 397-3317

Automated Info Line:
(401) 702-5020

(401) 397-8731

Animal Control


Pets available for adoptionThe Foster Animal Control Officer can be reached at 401-397-3317. The Animal Control Officer works part-time and all calls will be taken by the dispatcher and forwarded to him. If you are reporting an emergency please advise the dispatcher at the time of your call. If someone locates your animal and reports it to us, we will contact you.

If an animal is picked up and the Animal Control Officer is unable to locate the owner, the animal will be transported to the Scituate  Animal Shelter located at
106 George Washington Highway, Clayville. Their telephone number is 401-647-7200.

Hours of operation are:

Sunday   Closed
 Monday   Closed
Tuesday   7:00 am to 11:00 am
Wednesday   7:00 am to 11:00 am
Thursday night   6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Friday   7:00 am to 11:00 am
Saturday   10:00 am to 3:00 pm

Directions: Follow Rte. 102 (Plainfield Pike) into Scituate and turn onto Field Hill Rd (in Clayville) turn right onto George Washington Hwy. Follow George Washington Hwy and you will see the pound on the left. Click here for a map and driving directions.

Dogs are required to be registered every April. A valid rabies certificate is required at the time of registration.

The fee is $8.00 per dog. Licenses may be obtained at the Town Clerk's office during normal business hours.

If your dog bites and punctures the skin of anyone, you must contact the Animal Control Officer. The police dispatcher will take a report and advise you to restrain your dog for ten days. If your dog is up-to-date on its rabies shots, it will be quarantined at your home for 10 days. If the dog is not current on its rabies shots, it will be quarantined at an approved facility for 10 days. The Animal Control Officer will contact you for further information.

If you find a dead wild animal on your property, you are responsible for the removal of the animal. If you have found a dead bird on your property that has no visible trauma, you can report it to the RI Department of Environmental Management (RIDEM) at 401-222-6800. They may want to take it for testing for EEE, West Nile virus, etc.

The Animal Control Officer does not trap wildlife. All calls will be referred to DEM (Department of Environmental Management). You can contact them directly. If you have problems with squirrels, bats, etc. you can contact a private pest company.